Provocations For Toddlers

Today's blog is going to be focused on provocations for children ages 2-3 years of age. I have been an early childhood educator for the past 5 years, working with children ages 4-6 years of age. I have a a two year old at home and needless to say it has been quite an adventure learning from her each passing day. Motherhood has truly changed my teaching styles and taught me lessons I could have never learned in college or in the field alone. With this I have recently dived into setting up provocations for my little and exploring her interests, this has truly been a trial and error process. Some set ups have been very successful while others have been a TOTAL FAIL...lol!

One thing I truly would like to share is that although these invitations look beautiful and she looks totally engaged on my Instagram post, they are short lived, she is a toddler in fact, and most invitations to play only last up to ten minutes. Instagram does a wonderful job of making them look perfect but for all my parents out there wanting to try some of these set ups do not be discouraged if they don't go as planned, they never do really, we truly follow her lead in the process and thats what matters most. Respecting each child's process is essential, I foster her creativity and extend an invitation and when she engages I do my very best no to interfere (this can be challenging) in her play and exploration process, she teaches me so much everyday. Here are some tips to setting up invitations/provocations for your littles at home. I will also list some of my essential products! Once again, thank you for following us!

Love, The Art of Provocation

5 Tips

1. Less is ALWAYS more.
With Toddlers, it is essential when setting up an invitation it is minimal. What this means is they need space to explore, two or three objects is more than enough. When we use too many products we limit the space they have to create and explore, it can also be over stimulating and therefore the child can become frustrated, or loose interests quickly. Follow the child's lead, you will know if they need more. The child will either verbally address or physically make you aware of the need fore more products or materials.

2. Pick a consistent quite space. My daughter and I are mostly in the kitchen (best place to be in the house)! So we have picked a quite area near the kitchen, and it is always set up there. She knows this and expects this, this is essential to creating an inviting learning space. Children thrive off of routines and consistency.

3. Choose age appropriate materials, however, observe your child if they enjoy using items that perhaps aren't claimed to be ages 2-3, then go with him or her. We choose age appropriate materials to ensure that she will not become frustrated.

4. Don't be afraid to use the same products and materials for multiple invitations, this will become familiar to your child and they will discover new ways to use each product!

5. Have fun! Relax! Observe and take a step back! This happens to be my favorite part, just watching from a distance, its quite remarkable.

Products I use time and time again:

1. Watercolor Palette (Michael's Craft Stores).
2. Pastels (Michael's Craft Stores)
3. Wood display materials (I find all these goodies at Marshall's and TJ Maxx).
4. Play dough. Whether you like to make it, buy it, its a must have!
5. Kinetic Sand. Such a wonderful product for sensory experiences. Its an easy clean product too!
6. Natural Loose Part. Loose parts give us open ended play experiences, whether its sea shells, rocks, beads, etc this materials allow children the space to create and explore!

Happy Provocations Everyone! Share your ideas and what you come with by tagging me on Instagram @ the_art_of_provocation






  









Comments

Popular Posts